Our forests, the world's most advanced air purifiers, are worth protecting. The Alto Mayo protected forest in Peru is twice the size of New York City. Despite its protected status, the forest has experienced deforestation due to an increased population, a national highway, and the vast amount of land that needs supervision. It has also suffered from unsustainable farming practices, especially for coffee. To help protect the forest, this project teamed up with local communities and government to provide economic incentives to the local people in exchange for taking care of the land. Learn more and take action to give a breath of fresh air to the Alto Mayo Conservation Initiative: https://www.cooleffect.org/content/project/alto-mayo-conservation-initiative
How does this project save the planet?
Tropical forests are the Earth’s lungs—absorbing CO₂ and releasing oxygen. This project seeks to protect nearly 450,000 acres from deforestation. More trees = more oxygen. Fewer trees = more carbon pollution.
Benefits Of The Project:
- Fights deforestation and thus reduces an average of 500,000 tonnes of carbon pollution annually
- Protects 400+ birds and 3,000 plant species, many of which are found nowhere else on Earth
- Rejuvenation of the forest provides fresh water to 240,000 people living downstream
- Coffee produced in the Alto Mayo has achieved Organic Certification, giving a price premium to farmers, thereby raising household incomes
- Over 600 families directly benefiting from project activities, including improved coffee yields and food security
Challenges This Project Faces:
- Due to its size, the Alto Mayo Protection Forest requires significant resources to protect it
- Changing people’s behavior requires time to educate and build trust. Locals must see results to continue to protect the land
- Establishing organic, sustainable coffee production systems is a process that takes years and can be subject to many external risks, such as pests and disease, erratic weather patterns, and market fluctuations
Why did we choose this project?
When we visited this project in February 2016, we were amazed to see the real impact of its conservation initiatives. With your help, we'll hopefully be able to place the entire region under the conservation initiative to stop the irreversible loss to the flora and fauna in this unique biome. Besides its contribution to reduction of carbon emissions, we recommend this project because of its success in instilling sustainable and participatory farming techniques in coffee plantations within the protected forest area.
About Cool Effect
Earth is our home, our planet. It belongs to each and every one of us, and we share a desire to protect it. Cool Effect gives each of us a chance to take a step toward that goal by supporting projects around the world that reduce carbon pollution. Starting with you and me, we can create a massive, cumulative effect toward cooling the earth. Together, our small actions will ignite planet-sized change.
Like Cool Effect on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/cooleffect2/
Follow Cool Effect on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cool_effect
Follow Cool Effect on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cooleffect_/
What makes us different?
Cool Effect is dedicated to finding the highest-quality projects in the world that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our projects are scientifically proven to reduce carbon, are 100% additional, and provide full transparency in pricing and product detail. When you support one of our projects, you will see clearly how your funding will be used and how it will impact the project and the planet.
What does it take to become a Cool Effect project?
There are over 10,000 projects around the world working to reduce global warming. To find the top projects, we are working with scientists who have had years of experience in the field evaluating and verifying projects according to United Nations requirements. They conduct an initial review to verify the substantive public documentation each project must submit to meet its certification standard (Gold Standard Foundation, Verified Carbon Standard, Climate Action Reserve, etc.). Then they conduct additional due diligence to verify that the issued credits could not have been produced without income from the sale of carbon and ensure full pricing, financial transparency, and sound management. We make site visits whenever possible or hire others to visit the projects for us. Our goal is to gather and then provide as much background as possible to consumers to communicate both the opportunities and the challenges for each project.